Two Missing BCBS laptops may impact 800k people
- Someone broke into the offices of Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey and stole two laptops that contained the sensitive information of more than 800,000 members
- The medical insurance provider claims that the machines were locked to an employee workstation inside Horizon’s Newark headquarters
- The laptops are password protected but also admitted that they had failed to encrypt them
- Stolen machines may have contained member names, addresses, dates of birth, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey identification numbers, Social Security numbers, and clinical information
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey claims that they have no reason to believe that the thieves targeted the stolen laptops because of the information stored within them.
- “Due to the way the stolen laptops were configured, we are not certain that all of the member information contained on the laptops is accessible,”